Skip to main content

Adapting FC front suspension to a 323

Having come across a Mazda FC shell cheap that still had a majority of the suspension components less the struts, I've decided to embark on swapping the whole front sub-frame over. This means creating new guards as the old ones won't cater for the increase in the track width and either adapting the sub-frame to suit the 323 chassis or vise-versa, which ever is the easiest.

To accommodate the track width of the  FC will require several modifications:

  • the center of the strut tops to be moved outward by 38.5mm
  • The Frame rails need to be moved outward by 57.5mm


Here's the comparison:


Mazda 323 FA4US Vs FC Dimensions
Vehicle
323
Mazda - FC
2,311 mm (91.0 in)
2,431 mm (95.7 in)
Kingpin Inclination
8.3 deg
13.45

Length
3,820 mm (150.4 in)
1986-88: 4,290 mm (168.9 in)
Width
1,595 mm (62.8 in)
1,689 mm (66.5 in)
812 kg (1,790 lb)
1,223–1,413 kg (2,696–3,115 lb)
Wheel size
175/70R13
205/55R16
Offset
+20
40
Camber
+1 deg
+00.20
Caster
1 deg 45mins +/- 45mins
+04.40
Toe-in
0 - 6 mm
+0.9mm


Analysis of the RX7FC Suspension


















The Standard 323 wheel has a diameter of 575mm compared with the FC 632mm meaning that the center of the tire will be 28.5mm higher off the ground. The stock clearance from the ground to the high point on the Mazda subframe is 345 with std wheels with FC wheels it would be 373.5. The FC subframe Lower Control Arm(LCA) has a center point of 105mm, meaning it would put the LCA pivot point 268.5 from ground level, as opposed to the 316mm on the FC. This will cause the LCA angle to reduce and lower the Roll Center and increase the roll coupling, causing my weight transition during cornering. This will be further exacerbated as I desire to lower the 323 by 90mm. To maintain the correct geometry for the FC Subframe the 323 frame rails need to be  alter the frame rails to be 57.5 (60mm) higher than stock and 100mm wider each side.

Measuring Caster on 323:


Sketched assembly of the LCA getting closer, need to add the Ball Joint and Sway-Bar link. Once the assembly is completed I'll start designing the bracket and Frame Rail modification required.





Measuring The weight at each corner:

Weight at the tire(Wt) = Surface Area of the tire foot print (S) * Pressure (P)

Modification to an earlier model RX7 (FB)

Handy Suspension links:


http://www.billzilla.org/suspensn.htm

Replacing the front wheel bearings on Mazda FC
http://www.mazdatrix.com/faq/frontbrg.htm


Wheel calculator
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=205-55-16X6.5ET26&wheel2=225-45-17X7.5ET40&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortening the Diff

I have a Ford 8.8 inch diff from a EF/EB Ford Falcon with a Limited Slip Differential. I want to shorten it down to suit the 323. Due to the RX7 LCA in the front, the front tyres(205X50X15) now protrude from the front guards by 65mm. Making the overall front track width 1,675mm. With 225X50X15 tyres on the rear and the standard diff the rear is 1,610mm. Meaning that the rear track width is 32.5mm narrower on each side. To widen the rear when I shorten it, I'll make the rear axle 65mm wider than the standard rear axle. The standard 323 Diff width is 1,338mm and the Ford 8.8 is 1,547mm for a total difference of  209mm. So the Diff needs to be shortened by 209mm - 65 =  144mm or 72mm per side.

Transmission Options

I ended up going with a 2008 RX8 S2 gearbox as it was stronger than the S1 gearbox and newer and cheaper than an RX7S5 turbo box. I considered the gearbox form an RX7 FD but they have a pull style clutch which would mean I couldn't use my existing clutch. The choice of the RX8 gearbox came down to availability, cost and the fact I could use my existing clutch. I think I'll need to change the Diff Ratio from 3.27 to 4.11 to make the gearbox more usable, below is a simulation with a 4.11 Diff and the RX8 Gear ratios shifting at 8000rpm with 15inch tyres. Some of the options Jatco 3 speed automatic box including torque converter $7,000 JK40C/CD transmission from 350/370Z Adapter kits: http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/adapter-plates/mazda-rotary-13b-20b-26b-to-nissan-6-speed-350z-370z-350zhr-370zhr-transmission-adaptation-kit.html https://www.rx7club.com/rotary-car-performance-77/jk40c-cd009-transmission-370z-13b-1090772/page9/ they all seem to need: Does Not include (but requi...

The Journey continues

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" C.Dickens Long time no blog post, I guess most of the time I post on Instagram and neglect to come on here. In some ways it has been a good time for the shed and in other ways not so much. After moving house and getting a bigger shed I have more space, I've managed to purchase a Mill and a band saw as well as some other tooling. I've spend a fair bit of time mucking around with the front suspension and I think I have it how I want it now. Unfortunately with four children, the property, kids sport etc there is not a lot of time to spend in the shed, mostly later in the evening once everyone is in bed. I made a bit purchase and brought an RX7 FC, S5 13B motor in unknown condition with a MicroTech LT-9c for $3,000. I've started stripping it down and will clean it up and rebuild it, with the view of running it on E85. I've reworked the design of the steering rack location to have it correctly in f...