Skip to main content

First Post - Introduction

This blog page is a collection of Idea's of things I would like to try in my shed. These will mainly centred around metal working and automotive things.

Wish List:
- Working with Carbon Fibre, vacuum forming, using fridge compressor for vacuum forming.
- Getting a couple of old ovens removing elements and creating large oven big enough to bake large carbon objects.
- Setup Electro plating to be able to plate with Nickel, Copper, Chrome.
- Try some anodizing of aluminium.
- Attempt to chrome plate plastics.
- setup a plastic injection mould using a drill press (get a drill press)
- build a gas furnace with refactory cement to smelt aluminium
- Learn how to TIG weld.
- Get a lathe and mill.

The Shed
I completed the construction of my shed some months ago but currently have 8 pallets of pathers in there from the drive way that are waiting to be relayed following the construction of the drainage. The shed is 7X7 meters having one single large 5m long roller door for access.

After Digging out the backyard

The end result.

Layout As space is somewhat restricted I'll be trying to setup the shed into a series of functional areas. I.E welding, Soldering, Metal work, Wood Work, Mould making and Painting. Obviously as space is limited I'll need to make some of the areas multifunctional, however I'll try to group activities with similar levels of function and cleanliness together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortening the Diff

I have a Ford 8.8 inch diff from a EF/EB Ford Falcon with a Limited Slip Differential. I want to shorten it down to suit the 323. Due to the RX7 LCA in the front, the front tyres(205X50X15) now protrude from the front guards by 65mm. Making the overall front track width 1,675mm. With 225X50X15 tyres on the rear and the standard diff the rear is 1,610mm. Meaning that the rear track width is 32.5mm narrower on each side. To widen the rear when I shorten it, I'll make the rear axle 65mm wider than the standard rear axle. The standard 323 Diff width is 1,338mm and the Ford 8.8 is 1,547mm for a total difference of  209mm. So the Diff needs to be shortened by 209mm - 65 =  144mm or 72mm per side.

Transmission Options

I ended up going with a 2008 RX8 S2 gearbox as it was stronger than the S1 gearbox and newer and cheaper than an RX7S5 turbo box. I considered the gearbox form an RX7 FD but they have a pull style clutch which would mean I couldn't use my existing clutch. The choice of the RX8 gearbox came down to availability, cost and the fact I could use my existing clutch. I think I'll need to change the Diff Ratio from 3.27 to 4.11 to make the gearbox more usable, below is a simulation with a 4.11 Diff and the RX8 Gear ratios shifting at 8000rpm with 15inch tyres. Some of the options Jatco 3 speed automatic box including torque converter $7,000 JK40C/CD transmission from 350/370Z Adapter kits: http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/adapter-plates/mazda-rotary-13b-20b-26b-to-nissan-6-speed-350z-370z-350zhr-370zhr-transmission-adaptation-kit.html https://www.rx7club.com/rotary-car-performance-77/jk40c-cd009-transmission-370z-13b-1090772/page9/ they all seem to need: Does Not include (but requi...

The Journey continues

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" C.Dickens Long time no blog post, I guess most of the time I post on Instagram and neglect to come on here. In some ways it has been a good time for the shed and in other ways not so much. After moving house and getting a bigger shed I have more space, I've managed to purchase a Mill and a band saw as well as some other tooling. I've spend a fair bit of time mucking around with the front suspension and I think I have it how I want it now. Unfortunately with four children, the property, kids sport etc there is not a lot of time to spend in the shed, mostly later in the evening once everyone is in bed. I made a bit purchase and brought an RX7 FC, S5 13B motor in unknown condition with a MicroTech LT-9c for $3,000. I've started stripping it down and will clean it up and rebuild it, with the view of running it on E85. I've reworked the design of the steering rack location to have it correctly in f...